Thursday, December 13, 2018

Random Memories of My Childhood





















My Grandfather Yeprem Amirian


Two minutes ago I thought it a splendid idea to write down some of my childhood memories and immediately I thought what for? Or who cares? I don’t know, maybe I do and maybe I want to write them down before I forget them completely. I don’t dwell on the past or want to revisit the events it’s just bitter sweet to think of them sometimes.

My paternal grandfather died before I was 4 years old and my younger brother wasn’t born yet so I don’t remember him much I only have this one memory. 

I opened the door and stood there in the beam of light, I didn’t go towards where my grandfather was sitting behind a low square table covered with  thick blankets.  I don’t remember being scared, I don’t remember why I had gone to his room maybe I had just stumbled upon his door by mistake. He was just sitting there staring into the void. He didn’t call out to me so I just left. He was a slightly bald white haired man with a kind face. We have a photo of him smiling with twinkling eyes and thats how I remember him.  My older sisters have lots of fond memories of him. They told me that returning from the market he would bring them fresh fruits and he always had nuts and raisins in his coat pockets and would give it to them when asked.  He lived with us most of his life and I was told my mom loved him and took good care of him. I have heard from family that he lived to be 106 years old. After his death my little brother was born and as custom he was named after my grandfather, Yeprem.  To this day my younger brother is called babik meaning grandpa in Armenian.

Before I started preschool I spent my days home with my mom. If she was cooking I would be with her in the kitchen, I would go with her to the market for groceries.  She would even take me to see her friends for coffee.  When I was little and I  would get sick I really believed just by staying home and having my mom’s chicken soup got me all better.  I also remember that if we had something more than a simple cold she would take us to the family doctor.  Back then it seams for every ailment there was a shot and like most kids I hated them but with mom it was oaky.  I remember in elementary school every September she would make me a new school uniform and crotchet a beautiful white color and a little handkerchief.  She also made knitted swathers for me and my sisters every winter. I remember two that I liked very much, a light blue one and one that was the color of spaghetti. She was an awesome mom.

I don’t know why but I have more memories of my father. Maybe because for me he was larger than life, maybe because he was away so much that I always missed him, maybe because he was so kind or because he loved books and was always reading.  As soon as summer would start and I could read books with no interruptions or worries about homework, I would ask for his recommendations on books I should read and he was more than happy to comply.  Sometimes he would take us on the of spur of the moment to short trips and in the car we would sing for him all the songs we knew. When I started to wear makeup if he noticed, he would tell me that I was beautiful even with no make up on. That is something all girls need to hear from their father.  He would bring all of us gifts, candy and fruits of the season by the crate when he came home from his trips and that made us very happy.  My dad loved people and he would bring guests home coming from work and surprise and anger my mom because she would have to scramble to make more food.  Once when a delegation of a youth group came to visit our town he invited all 150 of them to our house impromptu.  He asked my mom to serve cheese and bread and he brought out jugs of home made wine. Naturally we all had a blast.  

I have many many recollections of my 7 sisters and 2 brothers, celebrations, fights, dates, parties, a life time of memories that would make a large volume, maybe another time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment